World Alzheimer's Month 2017
World Alzheimer’s Month is the international campaign which is held every September to raise awareness and challenge the stigma that surrounds dementia and World Alzheimer's Day is held on September 21st each year.
This is the sixth global World Alzheimer’s Month and Alzheimer’s Disease International will be utilising the theme of ‘Remember me’ to highlight the importance of early detection and diagnosis of dementia.
During September, the ASI will be raising awareness and challenging the stigma and negativity that often surrounds dementia; looking at how people can do well and live well with dementia; and how the majority of people with dementia want to live in their own homes.
World Alzheimer's Day 2017 - Thursday, September 21st
● Our brilliant advocate and member of our Dementia Carers Campaign Network (DCCN) Micheal Rowsome will be appearing on TV3’s Ireland AM programme at 7.45am.
● Our Dementia Advisers will be on board our Mobile Information Service will at the National Ploughing Championships in Tullamore, Co Offaly.
● Member of our Irish Dementia Working Group (IDWG) Helen Rochford Brennan will be speaking at our ‘Women Leaders in Ireland’ event in Dublin.
● We will also be issuing a press release about the importance of people seeking an early diagnosis.
Week starting Monday, September 19th 2017
● Our Mobile Information Service will be going to the National Ploughing Championships 2017 which is taking place in Tullamore, Co Offaly from Tuesday, September 19th-Thursday September 21st.
● The networking event ‘Women Leaders in Ireland’ is taking place at The Cliff Town House, St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2 (8.30am - 10.30am) and keynote will be Managing Partner from MERC Partners, Ruth Curran.
● We will be hosting a Pre-Budget Submission 2018 regional meeting in Wicklow at the Lily of the Valley Day Centre on Friday (11am to 12pm) which will provide an opportunity for local politicians to visit an ASI Day Care centre to meet staff and members of the County Wicklow Branch, and learn more about why investment is needed in community supports.
● Your Brain - Preventing dementia: ensuring brain health as we age event will be taking place in the Trustus Day Centre, Tallaght, Dublin 24 on Thursday (6.00pm-8.00pm). Dr Sean Kennelly, Consultant Physician in Geriatric and Stroke Medicine, will be speaking at the event that will focus on providing useful health information and tips as well as answering questions people may have.
● 'Your Love Still Guides My Way' – a song written by students from Coláiste Chill Mhantáin in Co Wicklow with the help of singer-songwriter Luan Parle – will be released digitally on Friday, September 22nd with all proceeds from the single being donated to The Alzheimer Society of Ireland & The Irish Heart Foundation. You can pre-order the single on iTunes here: https://tinyurl.com/ycgx87jh Watch video here: https://tinyurl.com/ydf6ad4z
This is what we have left during the month …
● An AlzTalks event will be held at the Cork Arts Theatre on Wednesday, September 27th. People with dementia and carers will speak to a live audience alongside some musical acts including the legendary John Spillane. Other musical acts include The Lee Valley String Band, opera singer Amanda Neri and singer-songwriter Laura Elizabeth Hughes. Advocates Sean Toomey, Helen Rochford Brennan, Sean Donal O’Shea, Catherine Kennedy and Michael Higgins will offer their personal insights on the night. There is a very small number of tickets still available at this link
● Regional Pre-Budget Submission 2018 events will be taking place in The Whistemount Day Care Centre, Meath (Monday, September 25th) and the Garryowen Day Care Centre, Limerick (Friday, September 29th).
● Information Events
Wednesday, 27th September - Roscommon: World Alzheimer Month Information Event, Hannan's Hotel, Roscommon 11 am to 1 pm. Speakers include HSE Speech and Language Therapist and Occupational Therapist and ASI's Community Dementia Support Nurse
Thursday, 28th September - Kerry: World Alzheimer Month Information Event, Parish Centre ( behind Church of Resurrection) Park Road, Killarney, 2.30pm to 4.30 pm. Speakers from the HSE Occupational Therapy team, The Alzheimer Society of Ireland's staff and more.
Thursday, 28th September - Tipperary: World Alzheimer Month Information Event, Anner Hotel, Thurles, 7 pm - 9pm. Speakers include Emma O'Brien, Occupational Therapist, Amy Murphy, Dementia Adviser and the Citizens Information Centre for information information about grants and entitlements.
● Each day at 11.00am we will be sharing a daily picture on our Facebook and Twitter social media channels of a picture which represents the ASI across our work – advocacy, training, information, service provision etc. We will also be sharing info graphics, video and more. The Twitter hashtags for World Alzheimer’s Month are #WAM2017 #WorldAlzMonth
Tell us about your event …
If you have any upcoming events that you want us to highlight or pictures that you want us to share on our website or social media pages during September, then please get in touch with the Communications Team – Cormac Cahill email@example.com / (01) 207 3820 or Lisa Gernon firstname.lastname@example.org / (01) 207 3804.